Saturday, October 10, 2020

Swing by Kwame Alexander with Mary Rand Hess

 I have bought several Kwame Alexander books (although it appears I've only read one other one) for the boys at school.  His sports books really appeal to boys who claim they don't like to read.  This book I bought last year for a few of the boys, and I brought it home over the summer to read.  I picked it up a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to finish my review of it until now.  

Swing is the story of two friends- Noah and Walt.  Walt is looking for fame through baseball, he is hoping that after three years of not making the varsity ball team, this will be the year he will.  Noah is hoping at some point he can work up the nerve to tell his friend Sam how he feels about her.  

I love the fact that Alexander writes his books in prose. There are times I have to convince the boys they will like it, and they always do.  This book has the added appeal of mixed media art as Noah tries to express his feelings towards Sam in a unique way.   This is a book I will certainly share with kids at school.  






No comments:

Post a Comment