Sunday, March 24, 2019

Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu


I read this book about a year ago on my Kindle, but just reread it in order to blog about it.  I wanted to buy it for some of the girls at my school because they need to read it! 

Moxie is the story of Vivian, who is a student in grade 11.  At her high school, the football team rule the school.  The boys on this team get away with anything, and Vivian is done with this.  These boys wear rude shirts, insult girls and subject girls to sexual harassment in the hallway.  But Vivian is a quiet girl who likes to be unnoticed.  When digging through her mom's memorabilia from the 90's, she finds inspiration and decides to take a stand.  Vivian creates an anonymous zine (short for magazine) for her classmates that encourages them to stand together and stand up against not only the high school boys, but also the administration.  As the zine starts to gather momentum, the males at school also start feeling uncomfortable and push back trying to silence the girls.  But these girls will not back down! 

I loved this book both the first time I read it and again today when I read it.  Vivian is such a believable character, she is uncertain, shy and doesn't know how to make a difference, but she also won't stop- which I love about her.  This book has some mature concepts, there are references to sexual harassment, but I wouldn't hesitate to have students in grade 7 & 8 read it.  There is nothing in this book that they haven't seen or heard at school or in movies.  If you are worried about giving it to a younger student, I would suggest reading it first.  High school teachers- I would go out and buy this book immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment