Saturday, March 23, 2019

On The Come Up by Angie Thomas

On the Come Up has been getting a lot of buzz on Twitter.  It is the second book written by Angie Thomas.  The first was The Hate U Give- which I loved, but read on my kindle so I apparently didn't blog about it.  I've read ordered it since the movie came out, many of the kids at school want to read it. 

On the Come Up is a bit more edgy than The Hate U Give- I am a bit concerned about giving it to students in grade 7 & 8 because there is a LOT of swearing.  However, the swearing in it is very natural and very appropriate to the dialogue, so I'm on the fence about giving the book out. 

On the Come Up is about 16 year old Bri- she wants nothing more than to follow in the footsteps of her father and be a rapper.  She drops some really amazing rhymes at home and is really hoping she can start her career in 'the ring' where she will battle it out with other would-be rappers.   But Bri has more to worry about than just how she will perform in the ring.  She is living up against her father's reputation, her father who was killed in front of her by a local gang just before he made it big.  She has to worry about having enough money for food, heat, clothing and her mother staying off drugs.  She also has to worry about school and the attitude many teachers and security have towards her just because of the colour of her skin. 

I loved this book!  I could not put it down.  It was sometimes tough reading because of the slang and the way life Bri lives.  It was an amazing insight into a different genre of music as well.  I think readers of The Hate U Give will love this book, but others will love it too.  Hopefully parents won't mind all of the swearing. 
I would strongly suggest any adults read this book before giving it to students. 


No comments:

Post a Comment