Saturday, April 10, 2010

Firegirl by Tony Abbott


The cover of this book looks a little like Stargirl- and so does the title. But this book is nothing like the Jerry Spinelli books.
Firegirl is a short, simple book- that leaves room for so much discussion to have with kids. Firegirl is about a boy named Tom who is in grade 7. He is a quiet boy who has few friends, but is happy with his life. One day, all that changes when a new girl- Jessica moves into his classroom. Jessica has been burned in a fire and the rest of the classmates are repulsed by her appearance. Because Jessica looks different, she is ignored and talked about when she isn't there. Rumours start to fly about what happened to her.
Tom, isn't a leader within the class, but he finds himself drawn to Jessica and is annoyed by his classmates reactions. As Tom and Jessica's friendship develops, Tom must find the courage to stand up to his friends and to stand up for Jessica.
This book is very realistic. From the students reactions to someone different to the interactions between the grade seven students- I could see my own students in these different characters.
I think this book would be great as a read aloud- but there would have to be a lot of discussion throughout the reading.

8 comments:

  1. hey kerry - discussion during a read-aloud?! why of course!!!! this loks like a book i'll need to read and then work into my program somewhere somehow. there are always kids who are like the firegirl. perhaps not as obvious but they are there. just being who they are. getting laughed about behind their backs. thanks for all these great reviews. steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book is the most boring book i have ever read and i am in the 7th grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that book wwas the best book i have ever read in my life...I would want to thank tony abbott for making that book it helped me learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting that there are 2 posts about this book- one claiming it is boring, the other claiming it is great. Don't you just love reading- a book can mean different things to different people. That's why I alway figure you need to try it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. teacher , this book was such a great book for my kids . we are doing liture circles and it is fantastic! fire girl shows a message that we are all people and we all have feelings so accept someone for who there realy are then labelling them shows a deep understanding to most middle grades. Tony abbot makes wonderfull books but not this it is phenomino!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is probably the only book that made me cry and its the best book i have ever read in these 14 years

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW- thanks for that comment. It wasn't my favourite book, but I sure liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this book!!!!! It teaches such a valuable lesson, but I was really upset about the sad ending..... ㅠㅠ I'll be doing a book report at school on Firegirl, and I hope people will take my advice and read this book.... They'll be able to realize how great this book is. ^^

    ReplyDelete