Friday, April 16, 2021

Love from A to Z by S.K. Ali

 I have no idea where I picked up this book.  I've had it sitting on my shelf for about a year, and one of my goals for Spring Break was to clear some of the books off my book shelf, so that I can buy more books of course!  

Love from A to Z is the story of Adam and Zayneb, two teenagers who have a chance meeting that changes the course of their life.  Zayneb is flying to meet her aunt in Doha, Qatar after being suspended from school because she spoke out against her teacher who was reminding her class that Muslims are 'bad'.  Adam is also flying to his family in Doha, Qatar after receiving the news that he has multiple sclerosis, the same disease the his mother had.  On the plane, Adam happens to notice that Zayneb keeps a journal like his- recording marvels and oddities and feels compelled to get to know her.  

But Zayneb is struggling how to deal with the anger she feels towards all the incidents of islamophobia that she faces.  Adam is struggling with coming to terms with his diagnosis and the impact this will have on his little sister and his father who are still dealing with the death of his mother.  

As Zayneb and Adam find themselves together more and more often, they are drawn to each other.  However the challenges they are facing make it difficult to get closer to one another.  Using their journals, they are able to share their inner feelings and wishes, and the reader is taken on the journey with them.  

I am so glad that I picked up this one yesterday.  I devoured it in one sitting, I couldn't stop reading it.  Zayneb is an amazing character, she is independent and determined to make a change in the world.  Adam is kind, caring and creative.  Together they are a fun couple.  I loved learning more about what it means to be Muslim and how relationships develop for devote Muslim's.  I also loved the fact that the story was set in Qatar, a country I know nothing about.  I thought this book had so many interesting discussion points.  I can't wait to give it to kids to read.  I also love the fact that the author S.K. Ali is Canadian, and that she has more books for me to order and read-after I clear my shelf a bit more, I've already placed some of them on my wish list!  While the main characters in this story are 17, the book is very appropriate for Intermediate and up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment