Friday, April 2, 2021

Unravel by Sharon Jennings

 I'm not actually sure where I saw this book- but it arrived yesterday and since it is Good Friday and I am planning on reading all weekend long, it was a good first choice.  I'm not sure I've read one of Sharon Jennings books before, but I really enjoyed this book.  

The story starts out with the chapter title "The Day that was the Beginning of the End" and the mystery goes from there.  Rebecca is an eleven year old girl who lives an odd life.  She doesn't go to school, but is homeschooled by her dad.  Her and her dad move often, her dad Joe makes them move whenever strangers get too close and ask too many questions.  At the start of the story, Rebecca is comfortable living in their most recent apartment, she has lots of adults looking after her, teaching her things like cooking, math and other life skills.  Rebecca is well liked and feels loved by the adults in her life.  However she is starting to question things in her life like what happened to her mom, why don't they have any other family, why won't her father allow her to choose her own clothes and reading materials.  As Rebecca starts to question more and more, her father becomes more and more angry with her.  

Then Rebecca meets Phoebe, a mysterious women from their new apartment building.  As Rebecca continues to question her life, Phoebe is there to help her learn the truth about her life.  

This story was a quick read, but mostly because I couldn't put it down.  Rebecca is such a smart, resourceful, strong young women.  I loved all of the references to the books she reads, and I also loved how this story was set in Toronto.  I can see lots of students enjoying this story!



No comments:

Post a Comment