Saturday, December 25, 2021

Firefly by Philippa Dowding

 As I work my way through reading the Red Maple books this Winter Break, this was the first one I started to read.  

Firefly is the story of Fifi, aka Firefly who has just come to live with her Aunt Gayle after a traumatic event with her mom.  Aunt Gayle owns The Corseted Lady, a costume shop that hosts over 7 million pieces to choose from.  When Firefly has to start grade 9 at a school where she knows nobody, she decides to dress up in a different costume everyday- the options are unlimited.  But dressing up doesn't stop her from reliving the events that led up to moving in with Aunt Gayle.  Firefly needs to come to terms with her relationship with her mother while also learning about herself and meeting new friends and starting to trust others.  

I enjoyed this story.  Firefly's strength and determination reminds me so much of the students I come in contact with everyday, and it serves as a good reminder that we don't know what other people are dealing with.  


No comments:

Post a Comment