Monday, December 20, 2021

Houston, Is there a Problem? By Eric Walters

 Anyone who knows me, knows I love all books by Eric Walters and this one is no different!  It was my first YA read of Christmas 2021 holidays and what a great way to kick off two weeks of reading!  

Houston is a boy who has just graduated grade 8, he is a strong student who loves all things to do with space. What makes Houston unique is that he lives with his aunt, uncle and two nephews because his parents passed away in a car accident.  Houston is excited about grade 9, but nervous too.  He is looking forward to spending the summer working with his uncle and making a bit of money.  A surprise envelope in the mail is an all-expenses paid trip to a NASA Space Camp which leads to Houston meeting other teenagers with the same passion as him.  But this camp is only the beginning of exciting adventures for Houston, as he finds himself involved in a top-secret mission with NASA.  

I could not put this book down- Houston is a great character who reminds me of many students I've known over the years.  The other two main teenagers; Ashley and Teal are also very real, believable characters.  The story line was exciting, I loved learning about Houston's training and the dream of NASA astronauts.  The ending of this story gave me chills and I can't wait to read the next one.  

Any teacher (or student) in grade 6 needs to connect this book to their Space curriculum unit - I can see so many kids loving this story while learning about space and astronauts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment