Thursday, December 30, 2021

Here's to Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera

 Here's to Us is the sequel to 'What if it is Us?' that I read this summer.  This book picks up two years after Ben and Arthur last saw each other at the end of What if it is Us.  

In Here's to Us, we catch up with Ben who has spent his first year of college in a creative writing class with Mario, who may or may not be his boyfriend.  Arthur is back in New York for the first time in two years working at his dream job being an intern in an off-Broadway play.  But back home, his boyfriend Mickey is waiting for him to return and trying not to worry that Arthur is in close proximity to Ben.   

Ben and Arthur are trying to remain friends, but both are grappling with see the other person with someone new while dealing with their feelings for each other.  Their friends are also trying to support them as they try and figure things out.  

I thought this book was great, I really enjoyed reading it - I read it on my Kindle- which is not something I usually do for YA books, however, I know that I won't be able to give this to any student in elementary school.  Ben and Arthur are in college, and are in mature relationships - even though the sexual content is a minimum, it wouldn't be appropriate to give to younger students.  However, secondary students who fell in love with Ben and Arthur (and Dylan and Samantha too) will love catching up with them and seeing where their life has taken them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment