Thursday, May 26, 2011

Exposed by Kimberly Marcus


Last night I read this beautiful book. Told in poems, I was moved by the beautiful words and images, but also by the storyline. Exposed tells the story of two girls who have been best friends for ever. Liz is 16 and is passionate about photography. Kate is a dancer who is trying to decide if her future will including dancing. Like most friends, the girls fight, make up and are usually inseparable. Then one night the girls have a fight and suddenly Liz finds she cannot get Katie to talk to her. Confused, lonely and sad, Liz stumbles through school watching Kate struggle with something, but unable to approach her. As the story goes on, Kate reveals what happened the night of their fight and Liz must search her heart to discover many truths.

This story deals with a pretty mature theme. I was trying to decide if it belonged in my classroom or not. It reminds me of both Speak and The Mockingbirds. After thinking about it, I do believe this book has a place in my room. The story speaks of friendship, loss, trust and moving on. I think it is one many girls will love to read.

2 comments:

  1. I was glad to see your review. This is one of the books that I added to my Amazon wish list when I was looking for options for books to read for the Debut Authors Challenge.

    Either I did not know or just did not remember that it was a novel in verse, a format that I always love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it! I also love books told in verse- which is funny because I don't read much (any!) poetry. I'd love to know if you think it is appropriate for grade 7 students.

    I'm very jealous of your summer holidays. We are still 5 weeks away!

    ReplyDelete