Saturday, July 27, 2019

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy

Coming home from Italy a few weeks ago, the flight was 8 hours long which gave me lots of time to watch movies.  One of the movies I watched was Dumplin' starring Jennifer Aniston.  I LOVED the movie, just one of a few times I cried on the flight home.  When I got home I decided I had better read the book and I'm so glad I did.  I thought the book was even better than the movie. 

Dumplin' is the story of Willowdean Dickson from Texas.  Willowdean is a 16 year old who is mostly comfortable in her plus size body.  However it is not easy being her, Willowdean's mother is a former winner of the Miss Teen Blue Bonnet beauty pageant and each year she runs, organizes and hosts this prestigious event.  Willowdean has never felt the need to compete in the beauty pageant, but this year, something has changed for her.  Willowdean now sees the pageant as a way to show the world that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.  But it isn't easy for her because she isn't always as confident as she seems on the outside.  As Willowdean learns about love, friendship and death, she questions her ability to compete with the traditional beauty queens. 

Willowdean is an amazing character.  She is sassy and funny and a typical teenager.  I just loved her as a character.  There are a few mature parts to this story, I would be careful about the Intermediate students I gave this to, but Willowdean's attitude towards life is something that everyone needs to read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment