Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix

While in self-isolation, I'm trying to work my way through all of my books sitting on my shelf.  When I taught grade 6 a million years ago, I read a lot of Margaret Peterson Haddix, but I haven't read her books in a while.  This one is unlike any others I have read by her, but I did like it.

Uprising is the story of three young girls in 1910 who live in New York and work under terrible conditions.  Bella has just arrived in the United States from Italy, she is working hard to make money to send for her family back home.  However, not knowing the language is very challenging for her, she has no idea how to navigate this new world, and working at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory is hard, confusing work for her.   Yetta arrived in New York from Russia and is working to create a union to fight for better conditions for the women who work at the Shirtwaist Factory.  Then there is Jane, who grew up with privilege and money, but her father doesn't believe that women are entitled to an education and wants to marry her off as soon as possible.   These three young women are living during the time when workers were fighting for their rights and for fair working conditions. 

I enjoyed reading this story, the characters lived through such trying times in fighting for a better life for themselves and others to follow.  I knew a little bit about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory and the fire that changed the lives of the workers and rights of others, but not much.  It's amazing how people were treated then. 

I can think of a few students who would like this story. I think the audience might be limited to kids who like historical novels, I did find the character development took a longer time than I usually like, but I did enjoy the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment