Sunday, October 18, 2020

Class Act by Jerry Craft

 This summer, I read New Kid by Jerry Craft and decided it was the book we were going to use for our whole school read aloud, which is just getting started now.  I know the kids are going to love it.  Once I finished New Kid, I learned that Craft was publishing a companion to the book and so I ordered it right away.  It came in last week, and I couldn't wait to read it.  

Class Act begins where New Kid ends. This year, the students are in grade 8 and are still navigating what it is like to be 13.  This story focuses more on Drew, one of Jordan's friends.  Drew lives with his grandma and is struggling to come to terms with the privilege, wealth and opportunities some of his friends at Riverdale Academy Day School have that he doesn't have.  One of his close friends Liam seems to have it all, and Drew isn't sure how to be friends with someone who experiences such a different life.  Jordan also struggles in this story by trying to keep his friends together, recognizing that their differences are what make them unique, but also that other people may label them based on things out of their control.  

Once again, Jerry Craft has written a book that is engaging, funny and causes the reader to consider things from a different perspective.  I have a feeling that I might need to order a few more copies of this book for the library because I know once the kids have finished New Kid, they are going to want to read this one!  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment