Sunday, May 23, 2021

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

 This book has been sitting on my shelf for a while now.  I remember picking it up and starting it, and not being able to get into it.  I decided to give it another go yesterday and I am SO GLAD I DID!  (This is a good time to remind people that sometimes when books don't grab you right away, come back to them).  I read this book yesterday and could not put it down, I couldn't sleep until I finished it!

I'll Give You the Sun is the story of Jude and Noah, twins who were as close as could be, but also as different as could be.  When they were 13, Noah was sky, quiet and very unsure of himself.  Jude was outgoing, popular and brave.  Yet at 16, they seem to have switched roles, now Noah is the popular one and Jude is the introvert and they rarely speak to each other.  The story is about how that rift came about and the challenges they have living without the support of one another.  

The story is told from both Jude and Noah's perspective and also alternates between their life at 13 and their life at 16.  It is a really interesting way to tell the story.  

I honestly loved this book so much!  Jude and Noah's story broke my heart- watching siblings fall away from one another was hard to read.  The challenges they faced in their lives also made me so sad.  But throughout the story, you could sense the love that had for one another and for their family- as shattered as it was.  

This story has some mature parts in it, but nothing that I wouldn't give to an Intermediate student.  



No comments:

Post a Comment