Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Dress Codes for Small Towns by Courtney Stevens

Back in May I read the book Faking Normal  and immediately looked online to see what else she had written, and that's when I ordered Dress Codes for  Small Towns. 

This is a really interesting book- lots to discover below the surface of the story.  The story is set in Kentucky, and the main character is Billie, a teenager whose father is the town preacher.  Having a father in this role is very difficult for Billie.  She is a tomboy who, with her group of friends "the Hexagons" stir up lots of trouble whenever they are together.  Billie is also discovering love, she's not sure if she loves her best friend Woods, or her other best friend, Janie Lee.  She is questioning her sexuality, her faith and what it means to love.  Throughout all of this, Billie is fiercely loyal to her friends,  and her community. 

This book is complex, the things Billie is grappling with are things I see in many students in my school.  It does deal with mature concepts, but I also think it is an important book for kids to read.  I'm looking forward to sharing it with some of the kids at school. 


No comments:

Post a Comment