Tuesday, July 16, 2019

The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed

The Nowhere Girls is a book I read about on Twitter (I'd love to know how often I actually find my books on twitter!), it sounded a lot like the book Moxie, which I loved. 

The Nowhere Girls is a book about three misfits in a high school where misogyny runs deep.  The three main characters are Grace, who has just moved to this school, Rosina, an angry young women who has a lot on her plate, and Erin who is autistic and knows she doesn't fit in.  These girls find themselves together discussing another student Lucy who was run out of town the year before after accusing some football players of rape.  Grace, Rosina and Lucy decide they need to do something about these boys and the attitude of the community around how men treat women.  They call this group The Nowhere Girls, and through it, they discover the power they have together to not only support each other, but also to stand up against many of the males they are at school with. 

I enjoyed reading this book - I loved how strong these three girls are together.  However, the book was also very mature for grade 7 & 8 students.  I would not give it to anyone in that grade, the topic is an important one, but there are parts that are just too mature for Intermediate students.  This one will be sent off to one of my friends who teaches secondary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment