Thursday, July 4, 2019

Everything Beautiful is Not Ruined by Danielle Younge-Ullman

My friend Becky tweeted about this book over the weekend sharing a quote from it and tagged me in the tweet.  Apparently she knows me very well since I placed an order for it (and a few others) the same day.  It arrived yesterday and I started it immediately ( I do love summer!)

Everything Beautiful is Not Ruined is about Ingrid, a grade 11 student who has led an interesting life to date.  Her early years were spent with her mother who toured the world singing opera.  Ingrid loved this transient life with just her and her mother traveling where the jobs took them.  But life with her mother was not easy, there were times when Ingrid was left on her own when her mother 'took to her bed' and stayed there for many days.  But Ingrid was tough.  Once they settled down, Ingrid learned how to be herself, but not too much of herself, only what her mother approved of.   Ingrid is sent on a wilderness/ survival trip where she is exposed to the elements of nature, leadership and dealing with all sorts of people.  Along the way, Ingrid and her mother's story is told leading to Ingrid learning that she can't not follow her own path, even if it doesn't meet with her mother's approval. 

I LOVED this story, I could not put it down. I've not read anything by Younge-Ullman before, but you can bet I've just ordered her other two books.  You can check out her blog here.    I loved the way this story was told in both flashbacks and in present tense.  Ingrid is an amazingly strong, but complicated character. 

There are a few parts that discuss mature bits, but it is not anything that would stop me from giving it to students in grade 7 & 8, however I would caution teachers to read it before sending it home with students. 

I already know a few students who are getting this book in September!


No comments:

Post a Comment