Thursday, July 18, 2019

Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven

I was looking for a book that would grab me right away yesterday to take to an appointment.  I grabbed this one off my shelf having no idea why I had it, but it was the perfect book.  I couldn't put it down until I finished it last night. 

Holding up the Universe is the story of two characters, Jack and Libby.  The story is told in alternative chapters from each characters perspective.  If you only looked at these characters from the outside, Jack is smart, confident and popular. Libby is overweight, uncertain and shy.  But appearances aren't everything.   Both of these young adults are struggling with personal demons, but how they deal with these issues are very different.  Neither one of these two seem like they belong together, but when they are together, they feel stronger, powerful and right with their place in the world. 

I LOVED this story, I could not stop reading it.  Libby was such an interesting character, filled with confidence and kindness that I wish all kids would have.  Jack is a typical teenage boy on the surface, but below that bravado lies a young man struggling with his own issues.  Together, Libby and Jack make this wonderful friendship, but they have to overcome what their friends think and feel. 

There is a bit of mature conversation in this book, but it is appropriate and nothing that would worry me about giving it to one of my grade 7 & 8 students.  I can't wait to give a few students at school this book, I've already got a few in mind for September. 

Jennifer Niven has also written a book called All the Bright Places, which I'm sure I've read, but didn't blog about, so I've just ordered it to read next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment