Sunday, August 16, 2020

Send by Patty Blount

 I've read several books by Patty Blount and have always really liked her stories.  The other books I've read have always had a female main character, so this one was a bit different.  I'm not sure why I've not read this one before, I thought it was a new release, but when I looked, this book was written in 2012.  I'm glad I found it!


Send is the story of Dan, whose life changed when he hit send when he was 13 years old.  Now, in his senior year of high school, he just wants to get through this last year and move onto college.  He is starting fresh in a new school, and hopes to just coast through the year.  However, all that changes the first day of school when he sees two students getting into a fight, he steps in to protect the weaker student from being hurt.  It is the right thing to do, however, it doesn't help Dan stay hidden from the rest of the school.  However, Dan knows the consequences of bullying and sees the fear in Brandon eye's.  He also meets Julie- the girl who he can't seem to stay away from, even when everything tells him he should.  Dan is hiding a big secret and his fear is that people will learn who he really is, but as he starts to develop a friendship with Brandon and Julie, he tries to fight being a normal teenager because of a mistake he once made.  

I loved reading this story.  Dan, Brandon and Julie's story were all difficult to read, they are all dealing with trauma and trying to find a way forward.  Reading about Dan's journey to forgive himself was very interesting, his relationship with his parents and grandpa was also really fascinating.  Even though the situations Dan, Brandon and Julie found themselves in were quite unique, I can see many kids relating to the situation and how they tried to handle themselves.  I know many kids are going to enjoy reading this book.  It does deal with mature content, but I wouldn't hesitate to give this to a student in grade 7 or 8.  



No comments:

Post a Comment