Friday, August 21, 2020

Suffer Love by Ashley Herring Blake

 I'm not sure where I found this book, probably on twitter.  I just received it last week so today when I was looking for a book to read, I grabbed this one right away.   It was a great read, although not really appropriate for kids in grade 7 and 8, maybe mature kids in grade 8.  

Suffer Love is the story of Hadley and Sam, both dealing with the repercussions of a family crisis.  For Hadley, she is trying to live with the fact that her father was unfaithful to her mother.  Hadley doesn't know how to forgive her father for the mess they find themselves in.  Sam is trying to support his sister and deal with his mother's anger towards him as well as his father's absence. Neither Sam or Hadley are looking for a relationship, they are just looking for a way to get through life.  But Sam and Hadley are drawn together and their connection feels right for both of them.  But Sam is hiding a secret that he is afraid will mean the end of this connection.  As Hadley and Sam try and deal with friends, family and each other, they learn lessons along the way about how to really live.  

I thought this story was great, I could not put it down!  Sam and Hadley are both such wonderful, believable characters.  Learning about love through watching their own parents while exploring their own feelings was so realistic.  I can see lots of girls enjoying this story.  But I would suggest for Intermediate students that you read it first because there are mature scenes, although not graphic or explicit, it could be glossed right over by readers. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment