Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Summer of Broken Things by Margaret Peterson Haddix

 I've always been a big fan of Margaret Peterson Haddix books, I've read many of her books- even before I started writing this blog.   A few weeks ago a few friends came over to exchange books and Becky shared this one, I had to grab it because I love Peterson Haddix writing.  I loved this book the way I've loved her other stories.

The Summer of Broken Things is a story about two very different girls.  Avery, a 14 year old rich, pretty and passionate about soccer and Kayla 16, who doesn't feel good about herself, has never had money and lives in a very small town.  When Avery's father announces he is going to Spain for business for the summer and that Avery is coming with him, she is very upset.  All she wants to do is spend the summer at soccer camp.  Then, when Avery learns that Kayla - someone who she played with when she was very young, is coming along she is furious.  Avery is mad at both her mother, her father and Kayla and is determined to make their lives miserable.  As they spend time in Spain, Kayla starts coming into her own and when they learn what really connects them, they handle this new information in very different ways.  

I can see lots of kids enjoying reading this story.  Avery is the typical 'spoilt girl' you see on TV and in movies, she isn't really very likeable.  Kayla is kind and caring and so uncertain about herself that you just want to root for good things for her.  I enjoyed reading about how the girls got to spend the summer in Spain and really immerse themselves in the culture and community.  

I'll be ordering this book to have in my library.  


The Summer of Broken Things by Margaret Peterson Haddix

No comments:

Post a Comment