Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Talk Conversations about Race, Love and Truth by Wade Hudson and Cheryl Willis Hudson

 I don't usually review nonfiction books that I read, mostly because I don't read a lot of nonfiction for kids.  But this book belongs in my Summer 2020 reading journey as I am learning how to address and talk about race and racism with students.  The Talk was promoted by Pernille Ripp on her Instagram page, usually when she promotes a book, I find I have to order it!  

The Talk is a collection of letters/poems/ articles written by award-winning authors to their children about racism, identity and what is like growing up not being part of the dominate culture in the United States.  Many of these stories had me reconsidering my understanding of what it is like being a different colour, religion, culture, race in American.  These stories really hit home as I imagined having to have some of these conversations with my own children.  

This summer I have read a lot and listened to many podcasts trying to learn more about how I can not only have conversations with students, but also to educate myself on how I can be an ally and help promote equality.  I'm not totally sure where this book fits in with that quest, but I am very glad I read it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment