Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Story: A Tudor Girl's Diary 1553-1559 Bloody Tower by VAlerie Wilding


I really love history and I really love books that spin tales of people who lived during important historical times. This book is the story of a young girl who lives in the Tower of London just after King Henry VIII has died.
At the start of the story, Tilly is a 12 year old girl who is living her life as the oldest daughter of the Tower's doctor. She doesn't understand all of the political drama that is swirling around her. As she tries to figure it out, she writes down her thoughts, ideas and impressions of the people around her. When she finds a secret letter, she is suddenly swept into the drama.
I have read several books about this time and still find all of the names and fights for power to be very confusing. I'm not sure how a younger reader would follow this story. It is an interesting concept, but unless a reader had a strong desire to learn more about the history of England, I'm not sure they would stick with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment