Sunday, January 10, 2010

Zen and the art of faking it by Jordan Sonnenblick


Last summer, I found this author Sonnenblick and read his book Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie (http://whatchareading-kerry.blogspot.com/2009/07/drums-girls-and-dangerous-pies-by.html) and was very impressed with his witty writing. I ordered a few more of his books and this is the first chance I've had to read the next one.
Zen and the Art of Faking It is also very witty. I love how Sonnenblick writes a really compelling story, while at the same time having very believable characters.

San Lee is a teenager who has moved around the country a lot. He knows how to fit in and he usually creates a different personality for each new school he goes to. When he lands in Pennsylvania, he has no idea who he is and decides to fake his new personality. San goes to amazing depths to be the new person, but all the while, he is hiding who he really is.

Being a teenage boy, San meets a girl who he falls hard for. But the problem is he is wondering if she likes him for who he is pretending to be, or who he really is. As she shares all of her life with him, she starts resenting the fact that he doesn't share who he is. San has his reasons, but he is afraid to open up and tell her about his past.

I found San to be such a likable character, he made me laugh out loud while I was reading and rooting for him and all of his crazy schemes.

I think both boys and girls would like this story, there is something in there for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment