Saturday, July 31, 2010

Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers


After reading The Worst Thing She Ever Did in June, (http://tinyurl.com/29jr4jq) I had to order something else by Kuipers.
Life on the Refrigerator Door was Kuipers first novel and what a powerful novel it is. This story is told through a series of notes left on a refrigerator between a mother and her daughter. While it was a quick read, it is thoughtful and thought provoking. It's amazing how much you can learn about characters through a series of short notes about day-to-day life.
Claire, is 15 and is a typical teenage girl- stuck between that phase of still being a young girl and wanting to be a grown up. With her mother being away so often, there are times when Claire is frustrated, angry and amused by her mother. For her mother, she is struggling to be a single mom to Claire and to successfully manage the life of a busy doctor. When Claire and her mother are confronted with a crisis, they deal with it in very different ways, but what always comes through is their love for each other.
Reading this book reminds me of the different perspectives people have on events throughout their lives. It reminded me that my mother probably wasn't as crazy as I thought she was when I was a teenager, and scares me to think of my boys hitting their teens- hopefully they will be easier on me than I was on my mom!
This is a very quick read, but one really worth reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment