Sunday, March 27, 2011

Words That Start with B by Vikki VanSickle


Clarissa is just starting grade 7- she expects it to be her best year ever. Her and her best friend Benji can't wait to start school. She has long awaited the year when she will have Miss. Ross- the best teacher ever. But grade 7 doesn't turn out quite the way Clarissa expects. There are feelings for boys, new friends, new teachers and Benji who doesn't want to stand up for himself. Clarissa needs to deal with all of that at school and then things take a turn at home. Life gets very confusing for Clarissa.

I enjoyed reading this book, it reminded me of Egghead for many reasons. It also deals with growing up from a girls perspective. I always like reading books set in Ontario, and I liked how VanSickle dealt with issues of bullying, friendship, school and illness.

3 comments:

  1. so many words that start with a "b". i'll be looking this one up to share with my very own version of "the pretty committee"!!! steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- I actually think it is more appropriate for grade 6's even though the characters are in grade 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry,

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! Thanks so much for the review, I appreciate the support. Vikki VanSickle

    ReplyDelete