Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares


To be honest, I'm not sure if this fits under the YA section or adult section of books. The characters are in their 30's, and that usually doesn't appeal to teens. I know my students who loved the Sisterhood books would love this one- there is nothing that is inappropriate for young adults to read.

I don't want to say too much or give too much away. I didn't even know this one was in the works. I saw it featured in the Globe and Mail a week ago and I was so excited. I started it Saturday night around 9:30 (which is usually about 30 minutes before I am fast asleep) and I read until 12:30. I got up early Sunday morning and finished it because I COULD NOT STOP READING IT!

Ann Brashares books about friendship are so beautifully and powerfully written. I'm immediately drawn into the world she creates. I was a bit worried that I should have reread the Sisterhood books to remind myself what had happened at the end of the fourth one. But, like so many great authors, this was unnecessary. Brashares quickly reminded me what I loved about each of these girls and caught me up in their lives for the last 10 years.

I'm not going to write much more except to say that when you read this one, keep a box of tissues handy- I cried many times while reading this book. Not always from sadness, but just because I care so much about the fate of these girls. It was a lovely read and a great way to kick off my summer holiday!

2 comments:

  1. I had not heard about this one being in the works either. I never ended up reading all of the Sisterhood books, but they are still books that I would like to read eventually. Now I have one more to add to the list:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all the Sisterhood books- and this one was by far my favourite!

    ReplyDelete