Monday, July 15, 2013

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

This book grabbed my attention on Twitter and so I preordered it. When it came in, I was doing some work with some avid readers at a school and they begged me for a new book so I let them borrow this one. I just got it back and finally got around to reading it last week. I loved, loved, loved this book! It's like The Hunger Games and Divergent- both books that I loved too. It is a great new dystopian series, and while I am sick of series books, I really liked the way this book was written and how it ended and I know I will be picking up Independent Study (book 2) in January. The Testing is set in North America after the Seven Stages of War in which a great deal of the population was eliminated. Now, at the age of 16, students are either accepted into University or they are sent to work. Cia can't wait to be 16, she is certain that she will be allowed to go to University, even though her brother who is smarter and more talented didn't get chosen. On her graduation day, her father sends her off with the words "Trust no one" This is hard advice to follow since she is alone and very scared. As she makes her way through the different tests designed to discover if she has what it takes to make it to university she must rely on her own instinct and intelligence. I thought this book was incredibly well written. I really enjoyed the strength Cia offered, much like Katniss, but without the jaded attitude and like Tris, Cia is a great character to read and watch grow. You care about her and feel for her. There was nothing I didn't like about this book. If you like Hunger Games and Divergent, I guarantee you will love this one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment