Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Revived by Cat Patrick

I normally start my reviews with why I picked this book and how I heard about it and save my review until the end. But this review is going to be backwards- because I have to start off saying how much I LOVED this book. I loved it so much that when I was almost finished it, I whipped up to Chapters to see if I could buy any of her other books. I am not even sure how I found this book- I think it was just on one of my wandering trips around the YA section- but boy am I glad I found it. Revived is the story of Daisy who is now 15. But when Daisy was 5, she entered a program that tested a new drug called revive. Basically revive brings people back from the dead. When people start to get suspicious of her, it means that she has to pack up and move her life, with a new city and a new name. When we meet Daisy, she has just moved to a new town and has decided she is going to make every effort to make friends. She quickly becomes friends with Audrey and her brother Matt. Daisy slips into a very comfortable life and she loves her new friends. But then Daisy starts questioning things about Revive, she wonders if it the people running it are making the right decisions. Daisy's questioning puts everyone she knows at risk. But this book is more than an adventure story. Daisy's friendship with Audrey has some very challenging moments and she learns a great deal about life through her friendship with Audrey. Her friendship with Matt blossoms into more than just friends, and this leads to some challenges for both her and Matt. This book is so well written on so many levels. I can't wait to recommend this book to my students. I can already think of some kids who will love it as much as I do. On the plus side- my trip to Chapters yielded another book by Patrick and Suzanne Young who wrote The Program...oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment