Saturday, March 28, 2020

Chirp by Kate Messner

A few weeks ago, I read on twitter that Kate Messner had a new book out.  I've not read any other books by her, but know that she is a great author for Junior age students.  This one really appealed to me, so I ordered it quickly.  One of my goals for this time when we are not working in school is to read more of the YA books on my shelf.  So this was the first one I wanted to start with. 

This book is the story of Mia, who is returning to Vermont after being away for a few years.  While she was away, Mia had an accident while training for gymnastics, and that fall took away a lot of her courage and self-confidence.  One of the reasons Mia's family move back is to live close to her Grandma who is trying to turn her cricket farm into a profitable business.  But strange things keep happening at the farm, and Gram thinks someone is out to get her. 

During the summer, Mia meets new friends, attends a few different camps, solves a mystery and learns about challenges women have to overcome in order to be successful. She learns as well that there are some secrets that need to be shared, or they will change how you feel about yourself and the world around you. 

This story was compelling right away.  I liked all the characters and liked how the girls could be both athletic and successful in academic pursuits.  This book couples nicely with Barbara Dee's book Maybe He Just Likes You .  I think this book would be great for students in grade 5-7.  There are a few sensitive topics brought up in the story, but they are handled in a very age appropriate way.  I'd highly recommend reading this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment