Friday, July 24, 2009

Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pies by Jordan Sonnenblick


I think I just finished reading my favourite book of the summer (or maybe July!) This book had me laughing out loud and crying in many places. The author writes in such an engaging way that I feel like I know these characters.


In Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie, Steven is a totally normal boy in grade 8. He is awkward around girls- especially Renee who he has had a serious crush on since grade 3. He isn't very good at sports, but he does excel at the drums. Steven also has a 5 year old brother Jeffrey who drives him crazy most of the time.


But one day, Jeffrey gets sick-very, very sick and suddenly Steven's normal life is spiralling out of control. He needs to deal with his feelings about Jeffrey, being left to fend for himself while his mother is looking after Jeffrey and how his dad just sort of zones out of the whole family situation.


Yet throughout this book, Steven's brilliant sense of humour, although sarcastic many times is so believable that you know this is how many people get through a tough situation.


I can't decide if this book would be best suited for a read aloud or a literature circle. Either way, I know both boys and girls would love reading this book. I'm off to order other books by Sonnenclick right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment