Thursday, August 25, 2011

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers


I've just discovered Courtney Summers this summer, and I'm so glad I did. The stories she writes are about real kids struggling with real issues. The characters are believable, likeable and typical of teenage kids. The first book I read by her was http://whatchareading-kerry.blogspot.com/2011/08/fall-for-anything-by-courtney-summers.html and I immediately ordered Some Girls Are.

Some Girls Are in many ways is like Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, but also reminded me of http://whatchareading-kerry.blogspot.com/2010/01/lottery-by-beth-goobie.html by Beth Goobie
The main character in the story is Regina who is a senior in high school. By all outward appearances she has it all. She has a boyfriend, many close friends and most importantly she is at the top of the social ladder. Her and her group of girlfriends are the ones the rest of the school looks up to and admire. They are untouchable. Regina has always been confident in her place as Anna's best friend, until a party one night when something happens to split the girls apart. Suddenly Regina is frozen out of her place with all of her friends. She really has nowhere to turn. Her former friends bully, threaten and taunt her and encourage the rest of the school to do the same. Regina seeks shelter with one of the boys who she previously tormented leading to a very strange friendship between the two. Regina learns a great deal not only about herself, but also about others' as she is forced to deal with her past behaviour.

I really, really enjoyed reading this book. Regina is unlike any other character who has faced bullying in books. Regina doesn't just take it, she fights back. While there were times I cringed at her methods- I appreciated her strength and courage. There are times when Regina and her friends portray the ultimate mean girls at high school, yet through all of this Regina grows up and has to face her past.

When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure if I could keep it in my grade 7 classroom. There is a lot of sexual references and swearing, but as I read on I realized this is a book girls must read. This book will go into my mature book box, but I know I will take it out and share it with many kids this year. I can't wait to read other books by Summers!

No comments:

Post a Comment