Thursday, July 5, 2018

Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson

This book was on one of the shelves at Chapters the other day- and was a staff pick of the month, and on sale.  How could I not pick it up? 

Monday's Not Coming is the story of Claudia who has just returned from her summer away at her Grandma's to find her best friend Monday is missing.  Nobody seems to concerned- not the teachers, her parents, Monday's family or even the police.  But Claudia knows that Monday would never walk away from her, or stop talking to her.  As Claudia tries to figure out the mystery behind Monday's disappearance, she also has to confront issues in her own life- her lack of friends, her struggle with school and what high school she should attend. 

I really enjoyed this story.  Claudia is a great character and I really enjoyed the setting of the story.  The author chose to write this story not using a linear fashion - titles were "Before" and "After" and "1 Year before the After" which was a bit confusing, but made more sense at the end. 

I think this book is too mature for Intermediate students - I wouldn't put it out on the shelf for my students, but would give it to some students who I thought could handle it.  I would suggest reading it for yourself first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment