Monday, October 14, 2019

OCDaniel by Wesley King

One of the teachers at my school has talked to me about this book a few times, he reads it aloud to his Grade 8's each year.  I hadn't read (or heard about it) before he mentioned it.  Last week I was sharing a book I'd just finished and he suggested we swap books.  So as soon as he finished reading this book with his class, he gave it to me to read. 

OCDaniel is about a boy in 8th grade named Daniel.  Daniel is not one of the popular boys, but he is friends with one of the popular boys.  Daniel isn't good at sports, and he really isn't very good at math, but he is a nice guy, with a big crush on a girl who he is sure will never like him.  But Daniel also is hiding a big secret- he has OCD- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  It takes him hours to fall asleep because he has a certain ritual he has to perform precisely before he can fall asleep.  He also has certain numbers that he really struggles with when he has to write them (or even perform them- like taking 5 steps to the bathroom).  He hides these feelings from everyone, his friends and his family.  But when Sara, a girl he has known forever, but has never spoken with because she doesn't speak to anyone starts seeking his attention, she starts to learn a bit more about Daniel and what he is dealing with every day.  Sara and Daniel are both young adults dealing with a mental illness and have to learn how to survive school, family and life in general. 

I really liked this story.  Daniel is such a loveable character.  I love his wit and his running commentary about the other boys in his school- the more athletic boys who seem to thrive at everything.  Daniel really reminds me of so many kids at my school.  I totally understand why teachers would read this book aloud- there is so much here to discuss and share with students.  I learned a great deal about how people struggle with OCD, and how some kids are battling some real challenges when they come to school.

I'd strongly suggest all teachers read this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment