Sunday, October 6, 2019

Odd One Out by Nic Stone

Last March, I read the book Dr. Martin by Nic Stone and really loved it.   When I was searching for a book to read this summer, I looked at the other books by Nic Stone and saw this one.  I'm so glad I read it! 

Odd One Out is the story of three friends, two who have been best friends and next-door neighbours for years.  Jupe lives with her two dads and has known forever that she is gay. Coop lives with his mom and has known forever that he is attracted to Jupe. The two of them are inseparable.  Then Rae moves to town and quickly becomes a part of their friend group.  Rae feels attracted to Coop, but also to Jupe.  When Rae and Coop start dating, Jupe is confused about her feelings for both of her friends
as well. 
I know that synopsis of the book is a bit confusing, however this book was incredible.  I finished it about 4 days ago, and still find myself thinking about all the characters.  I loved the friendship between Jupe and Coop, I also loved the young man that Coop is.  He is kind and caring and really seems to break the stereotype of what boys who play basketball are like with both their own friends and towards girls.  Coop is the young man I hope all boys can inspire to be like. 

I also liked reading how all three of these characters question their sexuality, but in very age appropriate ways.   I think many young women need to read this book.  I so often have students that I talk to who are grappling with who they are, and I think having a book to read that explores this topic is very important. 

There are some mature parts to this book, again, very age appropriate, but I would be a bit cautious giving this to some Intermediate students, however there are several students who I know would benefit from reading this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment