Friday, April 29, 2011

Iqbal by Francesco D'Adamo


I've heard about Iqbal and his courageous fight to stop child labour through the Free the Children organization but I didn't know the whole story.
This fictional story looks at Iqbal's life from his days working in the carpet factory to his eventual freedom. Interestingly this story isn't told from his perspective, but instead from another child who gets to know him as she works beside him tying knots for carpets.

I loved how D'Adamo used this different perspective. I found the story to be moving, heart breaking and eye opening. I believe my students will enjoy reading it as well. There is so much to explore in this book that even though it is a short book- the depth and detail they will be exposed to will make for a very rich experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment