Friday, April 29, 2011

Looking for X by Deborah Ellis


I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I have never read this book before. I love reading Deborah Ellis' books, but this one came out before I really started reading her books and somehow I've never gotten around to reading it.

I'm working on gathering up some books to use for literature circles in the next week and I want to expose students to some of the challenges children face- both in other countries and in our own backyard.

Looking for X tells the story of Khyber- an 11 year old girl living in a rough part of Toronto. Her single mother has all she can handle looking after her twin brothers with autism and Khyber has a great deal of responsibility on her shoulders. Khyber's life isn't an easy one. Her mother often has to choose between food and luxury items such as phone services and cable. Throughout the story, the love found in this family is very strong, and even though life is difficult, the family enjoys everything they have.

I think this book will really open the eyes of some of my students. They will be exposed to homelessness and what it is like to be poor. It is a short novel with lots of depth. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it!

1 comment:

  1. It is a great book I WANT her to make 1 more Book

    ReplyDelete